Improving brain function – curcumin can increase brain levels of BDNF (Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor), which is a type of growth hormone that can help neurons to form new connections & multiply.
Lowers risk of heart disease, prevent cancer & Alzheimer’s, helps with arthritis.
May delay aging (antioxidants).
- Anti-inflammatory (it was traditionally used to reduce inflammation of tonsils and throat).
*Important Tip: To help your body fully get its benefits, because it’s poorly absorbed in the bloodstream, you need to enhance its absorption with black pepper (turmeric supplements are sometimes combined with piperine, the alkaloid extracted from black pepper) as it has been found to enhance the bioavailability of the curcumin in turmeric by 2000% (Shoba et al., 1998). Otherwise, most of the curcumin will just pass through your body and do nothing.
Easy Golden Milk
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- pinch of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder (or 1/2 tsp fresh ginger)
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp agave or maple syrup
- Mix all the spices in a cup.
- Warm up the milk in a pot, microwave or a frother.
- Add 1 inch of warm milk to the spices and mix until no lumps are left (you can use a hand frother).
- Add the remaining milk and enjoy!
Are you a fan of Golden Milk? Do you prepare it differently? I’d love to know, comment !